YouTube is becoming an increasingly popular media technology that has played a significant role in how the music (media) industry functions. Advertisers have caught up to this technology where they have put themselves out here as well. YouTube ads show how advertisements in YouTube is one additional way with which businesses can reach out to more audience (potential customers). It has also provided additional ways in which artists/other celebrities have been found. This Wikipedia page (not a highly reliable source but just a starting point) demonstrates the number of people who have become stars due to YouTube.
I want to study YouTube’s impact on the media industry (may be focus on just the music industry). There are a few questions that I want to explore/find answers to start understanding the Youtube technology:
· What led to this concept of YouTube?
o Technological advances that made YouTube possible
o Changes in ways that music is being consumed
Some of the other questions that I want to explore throughout the project to truly understand the impact of YouTube on the media industry -
How has it changed the media industry?
- · What regulatory practices?
- · Changes in practices of advertising companies
- · The way they function in the new digital era
- · How has it forced them to change their way of functioning?
- · Changes in the practices of record label companies/business enterprises.
- · Changes in the practices of artists
- · Changes in the practices of the consumers
- · Piracy issues that comes with Youtube.
- · How has it changed(increased) audience for music(video/music video) audience
- · How has it affected the ownership of music?
- · Does it have any impact in the quality of music?
- Future of YouTube's role in the media (music) industry